Put on your program an excursion to:
- The Ancient Sanctuary of Apollo and Dimitras at Gyroula Sagri (daily, except Mondays, 08: 30-15: 00).
- The Sanctuary of Dionysus in the Yria (daily except Monday, 08: 30-15: 00, 22850 42325, 22850 22725)
- The Apollo Kouro in the village of Apollonas, is a huge impressive semi-finished kouro in the ancient quarry of the area.
- And do not forget to climb up to the Temple of Apollo, wich is the trademark of Naxos, the well-known Portara in the port of the island.
The island has seven museums of particular interest, such as:
- the Archaeological Museum, which is housed in the building of the Commercial School in Chora, exhibits dating back to the Neolithic period until the Early Christian period (daily, except Monday, 08: 30-15: 00 22850 22725) .
- The Byzantine Museum, housed in one of the most imposing buildings of Chora Castle, the famous tower of Krispi, hosts a very remarkable exhibition of Byzantine sculpture from Naxos and the Cyclades from the 7th to the 12th century (daily except Sunday , 10: 00-14: 00, 210 3218075).
- The Geological Museum in Apeiranthos, with a special collection of minerals and minerals from Naxos and the South Aegean since 1964 (July, 10: 30-19: 30 & August 10: 30-21: 00, 22850 61725).
- The Venetian Museum in Chora at the Della Rocca-Barozzi tower, with furniture and utilitarian items of the time (daily from 10: 00-15: 00 & 19: 00-22: 00, 22850-28377).
- The On-site Archaeological Museum, a unique museum of its kind, where visitors can admire the ancient remains of the Mycenaean city of Grotta, where they were found (daily, except Mondays, 08: 30-15: 00, 22850 22725, in the square Metropolis of Chora).
- The Folklore Museum, in the central square of Apeiranthos with more than 1,200 exhibits of folk art (July 10: 30-19: 30 & August 10: 30-21: 00, 22850 61725).
Traditional olive presses
- of Boulamatsades and Church; olive press at Livadaki neighborhood in the settlement of Koronos (22850 51457, 6944 607672).
- The oil mill Ioannis Sakeliadis at the Kokkos tower in Kaloxilos, built before 1664,
- Demaris olive press which is located in the homonymous place between Melanes and Kourounohori,
- the first motorized oil mill on the island (all year round), in the village of Damalas 22850 31326)
- and the Eggaras mill dating back to 1880 (July-August 16: 00-18: 00, 22850 24180, 6973 054 801).
Vallindra's open-air distillery. The first to create the famous drink "Kitro" of Naxos and is one of the three liqueurs with a name of origin. Housed in an old mansion in Halki (22850 31220).
The pottery workshop in Damalas. It is a traditional workshop of the fourth generation of potters where you can closely follow the clay treatment process as well as buy clay and decorative items (daily until late at night, 22850 32820).
Of particular interest are the churches and monasteries of the island.
- It is worth a visit to Agia Kyriaki, located at Kalloni (3 km from Apeiranthos) and dates back to the period of Iconoclasm, is one of the most important monuments in the Balkans.
- The Apostles, a Byzantine church of rare architecture, being one of the few two-storied churches in Greece.
- The Holy Mother of Potamia. Byzantine chapel with remarkable sculptures and frescoes inside.
- Castle Monastery of Fotodotis near the village of Danakos which is considered to be the oldest and perhaps most important cave monastery of Naxos (June & September: 11am - 2pm / July & August 11am - 3pm).
- The Kaloritsa Monastery is a natural cave with dimensions of about 30m in length and 10m in width, converted into a church in the 4th century. Above, the ruins of the Byzantine monastery of Panagia Kaloritissa rise between the 11th and 13th centuries (Kambos Agiasos, hill Prophet Elias 22850 31326).
- Finally, the monastery of Panagia or Drosiani on the way to Chalki, the temple, was originally a Catholic monastery and has a unique architecture (11:00 - 17:00).
Naxos is full of castles and towers worth visiting, such as
- Upper Castle, one of the most impressive monuments of the island, take the path that starts from Tsikalarios and admire the view of the Aegean Sea.
- The Venetian Castle of Chora, inhabited ever since its construction until today.
- The Jesuit resort between Melanes and Potamia in the area of Kalamitsia is the summer monastery of the Jesuits of the island, an alloy of western and local architecture.
- The Apariol Castle between Sagri and Ayiasos is an important center of the Byzantine Empire dating back to the 7th century (22850 31326
Many of the villages of Naxos that deserve your attention, such as
- Akamidomi in the plain of Tragia, small and but very beautiful, were the headquarters of the Hellenic School of Chalki, with Nikos Exarchopoulos, the founder of the Experimental School of Athens.
- The famous beautiful Apeiranthos at an altitude of 600 m with the marble cobbled streets and the Venetian towers.
- Apollo, the harbor of Komiaki where from there the marbles were transported off the island, just a few meters away is the famous kouros of Apollo.
- Atsipapi, a special medieval settlement in the northeast of Naxos.
- Danako, a small village built at the foot of Mount Zeus or Zas.
- The Moutsouna harbor of Aperanthus with the old airway installations that until the 1970s carried the emery from the Korone mines.
- Sagri, one of the most beautiful villages of Naxos, with the lower settlement being preserved due to its exceptional architecture and finally
- Halki a small and picturesque village in the plain of Tragia.